Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Black Eyed Pea Spread/Dip


Let me start by saying this recipe was a complete accident - but an absolutely delicious one. I had a batch of black eyed peas in the pressure cooker and was planning on making spicy black eyed pea and sweet potato soup. Well, I left it on a few minutes too long and I was left with about five cups of slightly soggy beans. My husband recommended I make a sandwich spread and this is what I came up with. I have another batch of beans on the stove right now in the hopes of making soup but maybe I'll overcook these too and make a second batch of this spread. Use it on crackers, tortilla chips, or bread. It's just plain tasty. I will intentionally make this again :-)


Ingredients:

5 cups slightly overcooked black eyed peas

1 large clove (or 2 medium) FRESH garlic cloves minced

2 stalks of chopped celery

1 cup of sliced tomatoes (I used pearl tomatoes)

2 tablespoons of egg-less mayo (I love Trader Joe's brand)

small bunch of cilantro finely chopped

1 big squirt of lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon salt


Directions:

Mix it all together. Seriously it's that easy. All amounts are approximate and I'm sure you can use different beans and other veggies to suit your personal tastes.


No comments:

Post a Comment